The iMessage Issue
Every time you send an iMessage from your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch or Mac to someone they receive it from the email address you used to register your iCloud account instead of your phone number.
This can be very confusing for the recipient for a couple of reasons:
- The recipient probably doesn’t have that specific email address linked to your name in their address book and so instead of your name, your email address will appear as the sender.
- Your conversations might be split into multiple conversations because your texts send as an iMessage are perceived as being from a different sender that those send as SMS.
Because you as the iMessage sender are not directly affected by this issue you are probably not aware it is happening until a frustrated colleague or friend points it out to you. Unfortunately it is easy to fix within a minute.
- On your iOS 7 iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch go to Settings
- Scroll down to Messages
- Scroll down to Send & Receive
- Scroll down to START NEW CONVERSATIONS FROM and select only your phone number
You are done!
Now go on and share this with all of your friends that have been sending you messages from their email address.
Learn how to use Messages.
The official Apple support article: iOS: Using Messages