The Issue: SMS Text Messages on your Mac or iPad are not sending
When you try and send a message to someone from your iPad or Mac your message is not sending and a dialog pops up saying:
Your message could not be sent.
[phone number] is not registered with iMessage.
The Cause: Messages Contact in Red on iPad or Mac
The number you are trying to send a message to is not using iMessage and your Mac or iPad is attempting to send the message as SMS text message.
This is because the person you are trying to send a message to either does not have an iPhone or does not have iMessage enabled.
Don’t worry, Macs and iPads can now SMS text messages. This feature is called “Text Message Forwarding” and has been available since iOS 8.1 and OS X Yosemite. You need to enable this feature in order to use it. Macs and iPads with a lower OS than iOS 8.1 and OS X Yosemite can only receive iMessages, as SMS text messages are limited to the iPhone only.
The FIX: Enable “Text Message Forwarding”
Most probably the “Text Forwarding” feature is not turned on to do this:
- Make sure you are on at least iOS 8.1 on your iPhone and/or iPad (to check go to Setting>General>About>Version).
- If you are using a Mac, make sure you are running OSX Yosemite (to check go to >About This Mac).
- On your iPhone go to Setting>Messages.
- Make sure iMessage is turned on.
- Select Text Message Forwarding.
- Turn on the device(s) you would like to use for Text Message Forwarding (Don’t see any device(s)? Make sure you are logged in to your iCloud account on your Mac or iPad)
- Your iPhone will ask you to: “Enter the code shown on your mac to allow iPhone text messages to also be send and received on “Device”, so on your Mac or iPad go open Messages and receive the 6-digit code: XXXXXX
- Enter the code on your iPhone and press Allow.
- On your Mac or iPad, quit Messages and start it back up again. The number or name that was red before should now be green.
- You are done! Send and receive SMS text messages from anyone right from your iPad or Mac.
You are done!
If you are still having issues please have a look at this Apple support article and scroll down to the SMS section: